Establishing
a Positive Classroom Environment
One of the most important aspects of being an educator is
creating a classroom environment that is
welcoming, friendly, and acknowledges
student diversity. In my experience, students learn better, and are able to
absorb more information when their classroom environment is safe, and
comfortable. The school and classroom environment is a home away from home for
all students, and for some students this institution provides a safe haven.
School can be a place where students are able to find peace, understanding,
support, and positive trust figures. For students that have more structured
home environments schools becomes an immediate place for learning, and
developing social relationships.
As teachers
we should spend time getting to know our students and understand them. It is
important that teachers show students that they are concerned and that they
care about who they are in spite of the cultural differences we may
share. Every morning I greet my student as they walk into the school building.
I greet them with a smile, and give them a positive compliment, or tell them
that I am happy to see them. This initial greeting gives me the opportunity to
show my students that I care about them, and that I am happy to see them. It also
gives me an opportunity based on their response and body language to see if
they are having a good or bad morning. When students know and understand that
their teacher cares and is concerned about them they are more likely to ask
their teacher for help, and guidance. On the other hand when a student feels
that their teacher does not care, they may exhibit aggressive behaviors in
class, lack participation, become disruptive, or isolate themselves.
As a special
education teacher there are several things that I would like to implement in my
classroom to ensure that all of my students are being included, and that there
is no cultural division within my classroom. At the beginning of the school
year I do a class activity call “Who Am I.” I give my students magazines,
newspapers, crayons, glue, and construction paper. Using the materials and
resources that they have they are to create a poster that explains who they
are. The poster should say where they are from, what their hobbies are style of
cloths, favorite food, sport etc. After the students have completed their
projects they will present their project to the class. After they present the
projects, their peers are given the opportunity to ask questions about what
they presented. This activity gives me to opportunity to learn a lot about my students
likes and dislikes, and their cultural backgrounds. I have Creative Fridays in
my class every week. On Creative Fridays students are given the opportunity to
bring in something that is valuable to them, and that represents who they are
as a person, they are also allowed to bring in a cultural dish. My Ethiopian
students brought in a rice dish that she eats when she is in her country. It
consisted of some sort of homemade tomato paste, and vegetable all blended
together. The students really enjoyed
tasting and being a part of her culture for the moment. Some of them expressed
that the moment was important because they may never get to travel away from
the United States, yet they can experience the cultural differences within
their class.
Classroom Strategies: Including Diversity
1. Post signs that address cultural
diversity
2. Teach students simple greetings in
another language
3. Incorporate cultural learning
experiences within lessons
4. Allow students to share stories about
their cultures
As teachers
we take on many different roles and responsibilities. I can honestly say the
hardest part for me when trying to develop positive relationships with my
students is being completely honest with them about how I feel. No, I am not
saying that I want to share my life story with them, however I find it
difficult and challenging when trying to understand them to relate because I don’t
want to cross the line of professionalism. However, I have come to realize that
I can be honest and “real” with my students, because I too have been in similar
situations. I took five steps back and addressed my own personal bias and vendettas
in order to move forward with my career, and building positive relationships
with my students. I have put aside my own beliefs and perceptions become more
open to a world of different beliefs. I have realized that the reason I have
struggled with some of my students is because I allowed my own personal feeling
and beliefs to determine the way I work with them. We all have different
beliefs, perceptions, and ways of thinking, and this should not affect our abilities
to develop positive teacher-student relationships. Once I accepted that “my
views are not the same for everyone” I have been able to develop some very positive
relationships with my students. We are able to communicate and understand each
other better, and it makes the learning environment less tensed and more
positive.
No comments:
Post a Comment